Oskar Kowalewski received his habilitation in Finance from the Warsaw School of Economics. He holds an PhD and MS degree from the Kozminski University in Warsaw and LLM degree from the Maria Curie-Skłodowska University in Lublin.
In 2005 he received the Kosciuszko Postdoc Fellowship for the one year stay at the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania. In 2009-2011 he was Visiting Researcher at the Wharton Financial Institutions Center under the program of Minister of Science and Higher Education. In the past, he was DAAD Professor at the European University Viadrina (Frankfurt/O) and visiting professor at the University of Glasgow, Goethe University in Frankfurt am Main, University of Osnabrück, and Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile
In 2014, he received the award of the President of the National Bank of Poland for his habilitation, which was for the first time in the history of the central bank awarded.
His primary research area include financial system development, banking, corporate finance and corporate governance. He has published numerous articles in finance and economics journals including Journal of Banking and Finance, Family Business Review, International Finance, Journal of Financial Stability, and Oxford Review of Economic Policy. He was supervising numerous research grants financed by the National Science Center (NCN) and other national and international government agencies.
Papers in scientific journals
- Kowalewski, O., & Pisany, P. (2022). Home–host distance in governance quality, foreign banks’ lending, and emerging host markets’ resilience. Review of Development Finance, 12(1), 55-69.
- Kowalewski, O., Pisany, P., & Ślązak, E. (2022). Digitalization and data, institutional quality and culture as drivers of technology-based credit providers. Journal of Economics and Business, 106069.
- Kowalewski, O., & Pisany, P. (2022). Banks' consumer lending reaction to fintech and bigtech credit emergence in the context of soft versus hard credit information processing. International Review of Financial Analysis, 81, 102116.
- Ahmad, M. F., Kowalewski, O., & Pisany, P. (2021). What determines initial coin offering success: a cross-country study. Economics of Innovation and New Technology, 1-24.
- Kowalewski, O., & Śpiewanowski, P. (2020). Stock market response to potash mine disasters. Journal of Commodity Markets, 20, 100124.
- Gnutzmann, H., Kowalewski, O., & Śpiewanowski, P. (2020). Market structure and resilience: Evidence from potash mine disasters. American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 102(3), 911-933.